Monday 25 August 2014

Day 16: Thoughts on education (and other stuff)

Lets get the blog challenge bit done quickly so I can get to more interesting news.

My thoughts on formalised education is that I think it's vital. I don't agree with the 'un-schooling' movement that is gaining momentum, particularly in the US.
However, I can completely understand the need for different methods of delivering education. When we move to PNG, my eldest will attend international school, while my youngest will do distance education. This is because they are two completely different kids who suit two different environments. Bree thrives on social interaction with peers, and is looking forward to the opportunity to go to international school. Lachie, who is 6 years younger, if a very reserved and quiet kid and will both suit and benefit the one-on-one learning experience at home. Having said that, his education wont be a free-for-all, but will actually have the curriculumbe set out by the education department back here.

OK, so that bit's done. Now to the exciting stuff - I signed and returned my employment contract for Papua New Guinea today, woohoo. It's official. We're going!

Today was spent either working or on the phone to prospective property managers, removalists, vaccination clinics etc trying to get things in motion. And yet a small part of me feels like it's not really happening. It's quite odd.

I'm also in the process of trying to sell some furniture to reduce our storage needs, as well as trying to sell our car, Matt's motorbike and our onsite caravan at the coast. (If anyone's interested, give me a call).

Tomorrow, the kids school is having a half day teachers strike. Normally that would be annoying, but it gives me a day at home to organise more stuff. I have a prospective property manager coming over in the morning, followed by a removalist company coming to provide a quote at around lunchtime. Then a lady is coming over to purchase Lachie's loft bed from us at later in the afternoon.

We've obviously got a stack of stuff to do before we leave, and my mind is spinning with anticipation, fear and excitement.

Til next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment